For my final project, I chose to draw a portrait of my husband, Justin. In this portrait, he is sitting on our couch.
For this project I used different types of charcoal on cream colored Mi-Teintes drawing paper. The completed drawing measures 19.5 x 25.5.
A portrait that actually looks like the model is a huge undertaking for me. I tackled this drawing in different areas: the background, the couch, the draped shirt, and the face.
- I filled in the background at the top of the drawing with vine charcoal. I could cover this area heavily, and it still would allow the figure to stand out.
- Next I covered the shirt with white charcoal. The side of the paper I used had less tooth, so I had trouble getting the charcoal to stick to the paper. I used vine charcoal initially to draw in the dark areas of the folded cloth.
- I then moved on to the face, which I should have worked on second. I primarily used compressed charcoal. Compressed charcoal made a darker value than the vine charcoal in the background, so the hair stands out. The face was pretty straight forward, although I had some problems with the right ear. The glasses were also challenging because they don't have any rims. The most surprising part of drawing the face was how few marks I made for the nose: I filled in the nostrils, and smeared a little charcoal on the side, and that was it. All the other marks I made were around the nose.
- Lastly, I colored in the couch with an orange hard, chalk pastel, and drew in the shadows and folds with compressed and vine charcoal.
After erasing a few areas and redrawing them again, I think I am finished. I never feel finished with a drawing, I just get to a point where I don't know what else to do to it.